Friday, April 23, 2010

Spain! Spain! Spain!

I'm trying to make it real in my head that in 6 days I am flying to Spain.

My mother and I are going to visit my sister in Granada and will be spending 10 days there. I am super excited and planning on spending a good bit of time photographing the city (oh hey, another thing for the growing list... buy film...). Here is a bit of information, unapologetically taken from Wikipedia:

"On January 2, 1492, the last Muslim sultan in Iberia, Emir Muhammad XII, known as Boabdil to the Spanish, surrendered complete control of Emirate of Granada, to Ferdinand II and Isabella I, Los Reyes Católicos ('The Catholic Monarchs'), after the last battle of the Granada War."

The Moorish influence is prevalent in the architecture of Granada, with the Alhambra being the most well-known example. It will make for an interesting change of scenery, from the rural mountains of NC, to a hill city of southern Spain. Can't wait to tell you about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment